[ Home ]
[ aca / en / f / h3 / i / jp / t / v ] [ dis ] [ Home ] [ FAQ ] [ Rules ] [ Index ] [ Catalog ]
Board Statistics
Board PPD Total Posts Unique Posters Last Post
Welcome to the WIRED

1788530201852950.jpg - 1021.31 KB (1417x1029)

Do you feel anxious about having an online presence? Wherever I look, people are more than happy to post their faces, or God forbid, the faces of their children for the world to see. Meanwhile I feel dread the possibility of having a picture being taken with me in it, knowing that it will probably be uploaded online for anybody to access, and even if no one were to see it, it will be scraped by companies to train their AI. I can't wrap my head around as to why everyone is more than happy to do this. Every profile you have is a possible attack surface, every paper trail is another lead if you piss off the wrong person. Even if you're a good boy "without anything to hide", a leak is all it takes and now your data is a commodity for criminals. And when I tell people I don't want to use social media, I'm seen as a "freak". Why? Has the pot slowly been boiling for them, that they can't see any other way to live?

>>

>>1980 i dont do social media either. My reason is that I would feel a lot of pressure if I were to publicize my life, and there is no benefit, so I don't. You are talking about ai, leaks, crazies... Do ai and leaks really matter? The way to stop cybercriminals/scammers/billionaires is through regulation and law enforcement, not through boycotting. About crazy people, none of the people i know have a public or name+surname instagram, and it has features to manage what content is shown to who, so i dont think any of them have a reason to worry about that, despite using social media.

>>

>>1980 >I'm seen as a "freak". Why? Has the pot slowly been boiling for them, that they can't see any other way to live? They are retarded and gay.

>>

I don't really like social media myself. I have a small social media presence but even on things like Faceberg I never post my face. I really don't see the point in it and I don't think bragging to the void about things I have done is worth the footprint.

>>

I dont think in that way, im more like "the conpanies will have my informatons anyway" but i get really mad how people cant see that the trends and repentine mass os missinformation is somethin with an intention behind. Its like people forget that if 'something is free, its because yure the product'.

>>

>>1984 what do you mean by mass os misinformation

>>

i had one ig and facebook accounts, which i deleted sometime ago. there was no information on them beyond my name, and yet i still regret it vengence

>>

>>1980 Most people don't actually enjoy social media (Youtube counts btw) its more like a distraction, and in this day and age distraction are the only tool to get people not wanting to end it all. The rest that do enjoy it use it mostly to talk to friends on instagram/whatsapp and barely use the actual app except for watching sent videos. I personally only use youtube and whatsapp. Youtube as a distraction and whatsapp for real use cases. I usually get the same looks when i tell people i don't use social media, but i assure you installing an app and using it only for your friends is the best option. You shouldn't isolate yourself because "What if the glowies use my data" yes this is important and should be taken into account, but all you accomplish is having weaker connections causing more people to judge you

Your fortune: Very bad luck

>>

I've said for a long time that I don't use any social media that requires an account, but of course omitting the fact that I only use imageboards. I'm among the zoombies, yet I've never gotten a strange look by saying that. Perhaps they don't understand, or don't actually care. But perhaps its worth mentioning that I've been considerably isolated all my life so far, maintaining little more than a few close friends. I find it funny that people so carelessly post online. I've gone through so many mandated lectures about online safety in grade school (to any "non-young" person here, yes, schools do these). LLMs have so far only worsened my life, and they give me even more reason to leave a minuscule online presence. I can't write about how much I hate the LLM peddlers and how those companies that have utterly raped the web to increasing degrees uselessness for their own self-interest. All this talk about """productivity""" and who is benefiting again? I see my peers using chatbots in lectures - that shit makes me pissed, and makes me think to never drive over a bridge built by one of my own generation. It's dumb, but I feel like I dodged a bullet by virtue of not being born to milennial parents, who very well might have posted me to ze Zuckercuck. Or frankly, grateful for my "normal" parents instead of oversocialized people. But considering counterfactuals is useless. >Most people don't actually enjoy social media (Youtube counts btw) its more like a distraction That's pretty interesting, I've never thought that but it makes a lot of sense, especially considering my own former usage. Very few things on youtube ever made me actually laugh.

Submit New Reply

Fortune Sage Nonoko

Max comment length: 0/4096

Add Poll
Emotes
Styling
Drag files here to upload or
click here to select them, or paste an image
Captcha
Select all images of Shameimaru Aya
Images fetched from Safebooru
Delete post: [ File only ]

Quick Reply

Fortune Sage Nonoko

Max comment length: 0/4096

Emotes
Styling
Captcha
Select all images of Shameimaru Aya
Images fetched from Safebooru